02 December 2010

Lottery of Life

I consider myself to be someone who always tries to make sure I’m always aware of world issues, particularly those relating to poverty in developing nations.

As a white, educated person who has a stable job and a mortgage in a Western nation, I recognise that I am privileged. Regardless of how ‘tight’ things might get at times, ‘tight’ for me generally means that perhaps I have to choose regular food over organic for a week, or that I maybe I won’t go and see that band I’d like to see for the third time. And while I do at times support charities that conduct cancer or other health research because of a personal connection to it (such as a family member or friend who may have suffered ill health), I make a conscious effort to ensure that the majority of the financial assistance I do give to charitable organisations goes to those who work in developing nations. Why? Because in many cases, people living in those places barely have access to medical treatment for malnourishment, let alone access to cancer treatment. At least being in Australia, a wealthy nation in comparison to many, we generally have unrestricted access to free health care. Yes, sometimes there’s a waiting list, but by and large if you have a life-threatening illness such as cancer you do get treatment.

The Lottery of Life campaign for Save the Children, which I found on the My Modern Met blog, really illustrates just how vast the differences can be between those living in Western countries and those living in developing nations. We really are in a position of advantage here, which means that we are also in a position to help.
Images: Save the Children

If you’re considering donating to a charity this Christmas, please do think about one that works in less fortunate nations than your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment